4 years enlisted & 4 years officer
Create Post

4 years enlisted & 4 years officer

Hello everyone, Daniel Colome here.

I would like to enlist for four years after taking two years of community college and immediately re-enlist into OCS and serve as an officer for four years.

I have an idea of what I need to do; I'm taking the first two years of college before I enlist so I would theoretically have enough time to earn a bachelor during my first four year enlistment so I could become an officer for the second four.

I have my reasons why I want to serve as both enlisted and officer, please don't try and dissuade me, you'll fail. Any constructive advice to further my understanding of what I need to do to accomplish this goal would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    First off I will say it is not as easy as "re-enlist into OCS"....you have to be accepted to a commissioning program, from there you'll go to OCS and you'll have to graduate from that in order to commission as an officer. All this is dependent upon you working on or already having a 4yr college degree. One other thing, you are not enlisted/enlisting as an officer....you commission/take an oath of office as an officer and depending on what exactly you do it is not just 4 years like an enlisted contract.

Another thing to understand too, if you already have a degree you would go through OCC(officer candidates course), OCC is EXTREMELY!!! competitive/hard to get accepted into and right now OCC candidates only have the option of going to the Reserves as an officer not active duty.

I commend you on your lofty goals but how about you go to and finish school for right now and/or enlist and see what you think of the Marine Corps life before you get all these delusions of grandeur. The Corps is going through some MAJOR changes right now and it may not be something you want to be a part of at all.

It sounds to me like you are pretty ignorant(respectfully) about what is involved with not only being a Marine but becoming an officer.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be both officer and enlisted. Nobody here is going to try and disuade you from your goals. What you want to do is possible. But, you are only thinking about it from one perspective - yours (which is understandable for a wannabe). The other perspective belongs to the USMC. After your first 4 year contract expires, there is no guarantee the USMC will allow you to stay around any longer. With the force reductions today, many who want to stay are turned down. Who knows what it will look like by the time you get to that point. Let's say they do let you reenlist for another 4 years. There is no such thing as reenlisting to become an officer or go to Officer Candidates School (OCS). If you're eligible, you may apply but the USMC will decide who gets accepted (and that's only a small percentage of applicants). I applied 4 times to the Warrant Officer Program but never selected (and I had a BS degree at the time). Officers do not serve 4 year contracts like enlisted do (they get commissions not contracts) so you wouldn't be serving your second 4 years as an officer if you happened to get commissioned.

As someone who attained both an AA and BS degree on active duty I can tell you it's also possible. But again, how long it takes you will be up to the USMC and not you. You will have to work your off-duty education around training/duty/deployment schedules (those all come first) as well as how much off-duty time you're willing to sacrafice to complete your course work. It took me 8 years to complete 4 years of college and that was with me sacraficing my nights/weekends for classes/study halls/labs. Some MOS's are more conducive to off-duty education than others. Some are 8-5 Mon-Fri jobs but others spend more time out in the field or on the flight line repairing planes/choppers and don't quit till that piece of equipment is operational again. Some do shift work and man a 24-hour watch schedule like air traffic control or a communications/intel center (shift work and class schedules rarely work out). Today, on-line courses are an option sometimes but you have to be careful with those and commissioning programs - some of the credits may not count so you may do a lot of work for nothing.

You should sit down with your recruiter and discuss with them what your goals are. They can give you a different perspective. Of course, first things first...you must earn your EGA or none of that other stuff will ever happen.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colome336 View Post

I have my reasons why I want to serve as both enlisted and officer, please don't try and dissuade me, you'll fail.
    Calm down " Marine Friend ". You are a guest here asking Marines questions. You are not here to tell us anything. Being polite will get you more answers. Marines do not " Fail " at anything.

Carry on...

Thread Information